Auditions Open for Actors and Writers
Our summer show this year will be something new. Yes, it’s because of COVID restrictions, but we’re excited. “Unexpected Moments” will be an outdoor performance, with potential online content.
Soil scientists sometimes explain that what some people see as a handful of dirt is in fact teeming with life. That’s how we feel about the year 2020. It is a pandemic, but it is teeming with life.
“Unexpected Moments’ will use personal narratives and reader’s theatre to highlight that life. Expect joy, sadness, humor and poignancy as we learn what those around us have experienced and discovered in this year like no other.
There are various ways to be involved in this show:
- To submit a writing or an idea which could be turned into a writing, please fill out this form: Writer’s Form The form also lists sample topics and ideas. These writings will form the “personal narrative” portion of the show. Writings/ideas should center on a personal experience that happened during 2020, and should be five minutes or less in length when read aloud. The selected writings will be read as part of the show.
- To audition to be part of the reader’s theatre group, please fill out this form: Reader’s Theatre Form The reader’s theatre portion of the show will create a shell that surrounds and supports the personal narratives. This might include music and/or movement, but that is not certain at this time.
- The answer to the inevitable question “Can I do both?” will be determined at a later time. Each form has an opportunity to express interest in doing the other. Please use the form that shows your first choice and from there express an interest in your second choice.
The process of creating the show will be this:
- Audition forms must be completed by May 1.
- A creative team will review submissions.
- A writing workshop will be available to help writers. It is expected to be outside and to last approximately 90 minutes.
- Those chosen to read personal narratives should expect to attend two dress rehearsals. More rehearsal time is available for those who prefer it. It is anticipated that most of the creative energy for personal narratives will be in personal interactions with the creative team (online or outside).
- Those participating in the reader’s theatre should expect three rehearsals per week beginning mid-May.
The performances will be outside. Those reading narratives will be seated in chairs, distanced, and will come one at a time to a central microphone. Reader’s Theatre will happen around them, before, after, and sometimes between narratives.
Please email director, Sheryl Scheffert, if you have questions: firstname.lastname@example.org
New Minowa Players is thankful for our local sponsors. Sponsors for this production of Unexpected Moments are Decorah Bank and Trust, Family Table Restaurant, Gallery of Tops, Iroc Web Design Services, Pizza Ranch, Rick and Sheryl Scheffert, Sogo Snacks, JoAn Stevenson and Steven Nelson, Singing Hammers Construction.